Tuesday 18 September 2012

Research...






GIVE A HAND


My inspiration for today is the French sculptor Auguste Rodin. He has created many exquisite works based on his perception of the human form; such famous works as the thinker and the kiss.


I'm focusing my study today on the artists hand sculptures.






I can't quite put my finger on it , but you have to hand it to Rodin. He has a certain magical ability to bring a piece to life. The contorted hand movement echoes a pain or struggle in the piece. Focus your attention to the angle of the thumb, a near impossible movement to re-create at your ease. The fingers are bent backwards clenched tightly. Is the piece bursting out of the ground/material, or is it recoiling in fear.

This is the energy and drama i wish to create in my future pieces.

My theme of my project is "To Sense my Space" ... so what better way to sense your space than by touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment